UBA is venturing into the arena of Geographic Information systems (GIS) thanks to a partnership with Global Mapping International and their Global Ministry Mapping System (GMMS) which is based on ESRI's ArcView.
Now UBA can provide its churches with customized digital maps and data sets for a wide variety of missional applications. Email Josh to request a specific geographic study area.
General Purpose (Stand-alone) maps:
In 2005 Mission Houston divided the Greater Houston area into 45 Community Study Areas (CSAs) for the purposes of analysis, cooperation and community action. These CSAs can be thought of as zip codes grouped by affinity. To see the CSAs categorized by their 2007 population, click here.
UBA research has produced a map of Non-Christian places of worship.
Utilizing information from the Census Bureau, maps can also provide locations for a variety of affinity groups or demographic variables.
- Houston's Growth (by census tract) from 2000-2007, click here.
- Language Spoken At Home (not Spanish, not English), click here.
- Foreign-Born Residents (all countries), click here.
- Foreign-Born Residents from India and Pakistan, click here.
- Foreign-Born Residents from Turkey, click here.
- 2007 Median Household Incomes by Census tract, click here.
Google Earth layers:
Google Earth is a virtual globe, map and 3D GIS and its basic platform is free to download. Once installed on your computer, it can be used to view a myriad of content from providers from across the internet. UBA is providing "layers" that will display relevant information superimposed on the Google Earth platform. For more information on Google Earth, click here.
To view the layers, you must have downloaded and installed Google Earth, which can be done here.
To access this information, simply click any of the links below and choose to either save the zip file to your computer or open the file. Once the file is opened from either location, clicking the file will cause Google Earth to launch, making the information viewable and interactive. If saving the information for later viewing within Google Earth is desired, simply drag the layer in the left column of Google Earth from "Temporary Places" to "My Places."
- UBA Churches in Google Earth (download Google Earth here)
- Churches in Houston and Galveston (Christian denominations)
- Select New Housing Developments across Houston
- School Districts for the Greater Houston area
- Community Study Area (CSA) boundaries
- County Boundaries for the U.S.
To ask questions or submit data corrections, please email email@example.com.
UBA has trained consultants that are ready to help you gather or analyze research about your community. Call 713-957-2000 to schedule an appointment.