Manto de Justicia
- Pastor Barreto was called to serve in the area of 45 South and Almeda Genoa. This area is populated by middle class Hispanics and most of them are second generation young people.
- The calling of brother Leonel started with a desire in his heart to serve and teach the Scriptures. He started teaching children in another church and from there the call to reach youth was born. Then he started teaching a group in his house every Sunday. One day someone asked him if he had parties every Sunday, and he answered that he was just teaching to a group. This person said to him, “what you have is a church.”
Tell us about a person who has come to know Christ through the church and is now a part of the church. The members of this new congregation began to minister to a 27 year old young woman with five children and one on the way who lived in a garage without water and who was battered and in need of medical attention. These church members removed her from this place and helped her with her material needs and began to take her through a process of spiritual healing. This young woman had many struggles and for a while they lost contact with her. But after some time, she returned to the church and now has a job and the intention of serving the Lord and move forward in her walk with God..
- The Pastor says that God is working through a radio program that the church has the fourth Tuesday of each month. This program is a vigil since 12 midnight until 6:00 in the morning. They pray and minister to listeners who call in and who give testimonies of healing and restoration. They have had testimonies of individuals who were not able to bear children and later they showed up in church with their own baby in their hands. Also, others have given testimony of being healed from cancer. The Pastor says that God uses them greatly in the area of prayer and ministration.
- Pastor Barreto would like to see the Lord allow them to occupy and use an abandoned church building. When this Pastor drives by this place, he sees a building, parking for 600 cars, and a soccer field. He also would like to see God use his experience of 10 years as a professional soccer player to have soccer tournaments with the goal of evangelizing.
- One thing that surprises this 43 year old pastor is the easiness with which the Lord responds and ministers through his life. How God gives him wisdom to counsel others that are older than him. Pastor Barreto says that he wants for God to keep him humble in order to continue ministering.
- The advice of brother Leonel to other church planters is to meditate in the Lord and to wait for Him to speak and show them what He wants from them. He says that God is the One who calls you..
- Besides wanting to grow in property and in numbers, Pastor Barreto’s petition is more about growing as servant of God in maintaining maturity and character to expand the kingdom of God. He also asks to be able to share the gospel and reach the souls that do not know the Lord. Another petition is for him to be able to devote more time to the ministry because he currently has a full time secular job which limits his time to prepare and minister.
|Current Contact Information:||UBA Directory Listing|
|Location for Worship Services:||10223 Bessemer St.|
Houston, TX 77034
|Date of First Worship Service:||December 28, 2008|
|Type of Facility:||Pastor's home|
|Discipleship Structure:||Cells or family groups|
|Language of Worship:||Spanish and English translation|