Volunteer to Serve Refugees
There are many ministries in the greater-Houston area that are focused on welcoming refugees and helping them to adapt to life in the United States. Project, short-term, and long-term opportunities are available.
Current Missions Project: Collecting Backpacks and School Supplies for children in refugee families. Click for details.
Ministries to Area Refugees
- Houston Welcomes Refugees: This ministry organization provides a great way to step into refugee ministry. Your church or small group can fill a welcome kit (click here for lists and drop off dates) and drop it off at a designated Houston Welcomes Refugees location. It's that easy. The kits will then be delivered to new families arriving in the United States from refugee camps in countries throughout the world.
- Loaves & Fishes: Local UBA Missionary to the City, Margie Randall (email) ministers to Bhutanese refugees and others of many faiths from many countries throughout the Houston area. Additional volunteers needed for kids clubs, adult ESL ministries, transportation, donations, and more.
- Butch & Nell Green, serving in Houston as field personnel with the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, serve a variety of immigrant, refugee, and international student populations here in the Houston area. To receive the monthly e-mail newsletter (sample newsletter) with resources and ministry opportunities, please email bgreen[at]thefellowship.info.
- Prestige Learning Institute: Offers ESL and life skills training to immigrants, refugees, and the international population in Houston. Volunteers needed to teach ESL, provide childcare for attendees, and mentor attendees. Contact Michael Obringer via email. (brochure) (volunteer)
- YMCA International: Providing services to refugee families. Contact Amy Blose, Community & Volunteer Liaison via email. Download "10 Ways to Help Refugees'